Monday, February 5, 2018

From Rumbek

I arrived in Rumbek late Saturday morning. Many of the teachers, senior students, and student leaders were there to greet me. It was amazing to think they would walk so far in the heat simply to greet me. Sometimes I have to pinch myself to be sure this is real. The teachers have matching polo type shirts. Some of the members of the Board also have them so I thought this was a good time to wear mine. The sight of a woman getting off the 19 passenger plane with the same shirt as the people greeting her apparently was unique. Today the teachers told me that they had heard about it from Uganda! Sunday morning I worship at the Catholic Church very near where I am staying. They are in a new building, much larger than the original building. The walls are block and the roof is mental but the floor is dirt. The service was in English so most of the congregants were young and about half male. Only the educated speak English. You can likely connect those dots. I've had several meetings with various groups but this morning is the first time I got to go to the school. Only the seniors were present. The other students are still on break. The seniors have been continuing in class to prepare for the National Exam on Feb. 13 (just 3 days after graduation). The teachers of the seniors also did not take a break over the holidays so they would be present to tutor the students - no extra income - just dedication. Their commitment to the students is like many teachers in the U.S. When I was here last April I learned one of our students is an artist. Her name is Vivian. We are working on a children's book that tells her story. So, I have worked on the story and Vivian is working on the illustrations. I met with her today and showed her a picture book about the Lost Boys of Sudan. She likely has not seen a children's picture book before. The possibilities are exciting. If we can make this work she could possibly travel to the US for a book signing tour. This is the hot season in South Sudan but the nights get cool (75 degrees) around 2:00 am so sleep is possible. Highs are over 100 degrees. Right now I am in the director's office so I can use the internet. There are 12 of us crammed into this small room. Needless to say, we are all a bit "damp". I will write as I get access to the internet. I have it on my phone but typing a coherent blog on the phone keyboard is not a challenge I want to take on. Bev Nelan and Angelo Maker arrive tomorrow. I can hardly wait to be with Bev and Angelo again!

No comments:

Post a Comment