Wednesday, September 25, 2013

I have had an interesting couple of days so asked Bev if I could blog today. I think we mentioned to you that a woman who lives in the compound with us had a baby Saturday night. Last night they came and got me, asking to secure a car to take her to the hospital. She has "a weak heart". So I made some calls and while the car was coming I took th blood pressure cuff that Edie Higgins gave me and went to their house. They were all very quiet as "Dr. Kutz" attempted to manually take a BP without a stethascope. I think her pressure was high but not dnagerously so. But at least they felt cared for and she did get to the hospital. As far as I know no doctor was there when she got there (actually most of her family went with her, including her breast feeding baby - car was packed)so she is still there today. The family walked hom from the hospital last night around midnight. The baby stayed with her. You may also remember that we wrote about President Kiir coming some time. Well, he came today. The whole town shut down so everybody could be there. The market, schools, and offices were all closed and Freedom Square was packed. I had a carmera with me but was told we could not take pictures. However, one of the Sudanese young men with us, Majok, got me a press pass which allowed me to sit with the press. I was sitting next to a man from the UN. When President Kiir came he told me we could go out on the field and take pictures so up I got and walked out there with all these African men and their professional cameras. There I was looking pretty out of place with a tourist camera. One of the military guys with a big gun said, "Madame?" I showed him my pass. Then he asked where I was from. I told him the US. He asked what organization I was from. I told him Abukloi. He said, "Abukloi?". I quickly went back to me seat with the "press core". I thought, "Majok got me into this I sure hope he can get me out of it!" Anyway, I did get a couple of pictures. It was quite an experience to be there with the people of Rumbek as they welcomed their president. He is Dinka and spoke in that language. This is the first time since he began two years ago to come to Rumbek. He will be here tomorrow as well for meetings.

1 comment:

  1. Wow...a medical doctor and now a journalist! Impressive. I can't wait to see more photos.

    ReplyDelete