Friday, September 6, 2013

Preparing the Way by Marg Kutz

When I was 18 years old I was recovering from a breakup with a long time boyfriend.  The plans we had made together were over so I was seeking new direction.  It was then that I heard God calling me to teaching mission in Africa.  When I was 19 I dropped out of college to do a year's missionary work in the US.  My call to mission work was confirmed so I returned to college to prepare.  After I graduated I applied for both the Peace Corps and UCC Mission Board.  Both groups suggested I teach in the states for a few years and then apply again.  In the meantime I had me a dashing young man, Bob Kutz, and fell in love and were engaged to be married.  I could not reconcile my call to foreign mission work with my engagement.  Eventually I gave the ring back.  But when God made it clear I was to marry Bob we were married and the call to mission work went on the back burner as I prepared for work as a United Methodist pastor.  Now after 39 years service in the church what never left the back burner has been moved to the front burner.  I leave Sunday for South Sudan to start a secondary school for 90 ninth graders.

I am so grateful to God for allowing me this privilege to serve in this way.  While I certainly would have had much more physical stamina when I was 25 I feel everything in my 65 years has prepared me for this divine adventure/promise.

Please follow our blog as Bev Nelan and I both fulfill childhood calls to mission work in Africa.

No comments:

Post a Comment