Monday, October 14, 2013

Some Personal Updates

Bev is feeling much better. She was able to go to school on Friday and give her tests. Saturday Uncle Jacob flew into Rumbek for a funeral. He has been staying with us, sharing water that Rebecca brings in for us, and the car and driver. Several others came with him so our routine has changed significantly with house guests. Actaully, it is hard to know who is the guest since this is one of his many homes. He is likely to return later in the month as his daughter is getting married. Funerals here are generally 3 days. They slaughtered 18 cows to feed everyone during that time. None came from his cattle camp but he purchased them. They like to keep their herd large for the dowry. He must have many sons and nephews! Jacob has a nephew wanting to marry so there was some negotiating about cattle. Jacob has a cattle farm about 20 miles from Rumbek. He traveled yesterday to see how he can help his brother. This nephew is the older brother of our driver, Justin. Justin and Rebecca have a little boy together, David, however, they are not allowed to get married until Justin's older brother gets married. So this engagement/arrangment of the older brother was good news for Justin and Rebecca. They are a wonderful couple, not arranged by parents but in love with each other. They live separately now until they are married because they understand that is what their faith requires. Saturday Bev and I had her birthday dinner at Palm Tree, pizza! That evening I walked to the market in town with Rebecca. It is about 2-3 miles each way. I bought a couple of things for Bev and two dresses for myself. I wore one of them Sunday morning to church - very smart! I wanted a dress to wear when I speak to groups about South Sudan and our school. Last evening Bev and I walked around our "county" or the area we live in. We got a bit turned around, no roads just paths, but we found our way back before it got dark! For those of you who do not know me, I have 4 brothers and 2 sisters. Most live in PA. My youngest brother, Andy, was diagnosed with cancer back in the spring. His prognosis was very poor. I knew there was a possibility that he could pass while I was here in Africa and made the decision then I would not return. Andy, died early Friday morning. His memorial service was Sunday afternoon in Clarion, PA. My husband and children were able to be there. Angelo Maker also went to "represent me." It has been difficult to not be there. When you are praying for us please include this loss and God's comfort. Marg

1 comment:

  1. I am glad Beverly is feeling better. I am so sorry about your brother, Marg. Will pray for you.

    ReplyDelete