Monday, June 9, 2014

I am now in Juba, the capital of South Sudan. The only way to Rumbek, my final destination, in this rainy season is by air and even it can be a little difficult because the runway is mud/clay. There are only two of those flights from Juba to Rumbek each week - Tuesday and Saturday. So leaving Dulles on Sunday morning brings me to Juba on Monday allowing the early morning flight to Rumbek on Tuesday. Because some of you reading this are considering making this trip yourself I will share a little bit about the costs along the way and some of the travel details (like I just did). The flight from Dulles (Washington, DC) to Addis Ababa in Ethiopia is 12.5 hours. The flight from Addis Ababa was 2 hours. But the holdover between those two flights was 8 hours! Basically it take 2-3 days to get to Rumbek (Sunday to Tuesday or Thursday to Saturday). I flew Ethiopian Air but there are other airlines that also fly to Juba, South Sudan. I just prefer Ethiopian Air because it does not require an overnight stop in Nirobi. It also is a pretty good international airline. I believe some of the other airlines are a bit less expensive. My flight from Dulles to Juba was a little over $1900 round trip. The flight from Juba to Rumbek can only be purchased at one of those two airports. I had our Director arrange for that as the flights are generally full so need to be purchased several days out. He had his brother bring my ticket to me at the hotel tonight here in Juba. If you were to come, we would make similar arrangements. That's it for now. I will try to write more tomorrow once I am actually in Rumbek. But I have heard from our Director (Justin) that the internet in Rumbek has been very poor. So we will see. Thanks for all your prayers - they got me this far!

No comments:

Post a Comment