Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Tuesday of Week Two

Good morning.
 I have learned that the internet seems to work best in the morning when there are fewer people using it. I also discovered that my sim card needed to be re-registered so I am using Director Justin's sim card - thanks, Justin.

Yesterday I spent time with the students. First I met with the prefects, the elected leaders of the students. They do not have president, vice president, secretary but head boy and head girl, prefect of academics, room monitor, sports prefect, etc. It works well and they are proud of their organization. A people who have been colonized and then run by a military dictator have a strong appreciation for democracy and transparency.

Before the students had met with me they had met with the entire student body. While they had a letter prepared for me to give to the Abukloi Board they were not going to read it to me until we gathered in assembly with everyone. So we all crowded together in one classroom and the letter was read. At the end of the assembly they all stood and sang their national anthem so I could video them - very powerful!

I had told them last week that I needed to know what was going well and what they still needed. These needs were to be prioritized. They followed instructions. The first priority was a boarding school. I learned more about why that is. Providing a boarding school is primarily for the girls. They have trouble excelling at school because of their responsibilities at home. It causes them to miss school and not be able to do their homework. Of course, boarding schools are very expensive. I hope to address the families of the students next week and will talk to them about encouraging their girls (daughters, wives, sisters) by reducing the work required of them so they can learn.

The second priority included computers and science lab equipment. I believe we can achieve that.

Tomorrow marks 1 full week in Rumbek, 1 full week without any luggage. It is amazing how you can survive with just the clothes on your back (plus a little help from Mariam who runs Pan Dor). Today I meet with the teachers to get their priorities and strategic plan. We also hope to visit the agriculture department about getting free seeds and fruit trees for our gardens.

Things are going well. I hear reports of violence among the people, very sad. As the Psalmist wrote, "but it does not come near my door" Thank you for your prayers and keep them coming, especially for the people of South Sudan. The are so grieved by the violence of their own people against each other. It is a very few but it holds back the whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment