Thursday, June 12, 2014

lost Luggage and Found School

Thursday 6/12/14
I have been without internet for several days so have a bit to catch up on. I will do it quickly as I don't know how long my internet connection will last.

I was to leave Juba on Tuesday but the flight was canceled so I had to go back to the hotel for another night and then fly on Wednesday. That happened but my luggage ended up in Wau (look at the map, no where near). So it is to arrive Saturday - we shall see.... In the meantime, I am wearing clothes Bev left last year. The woman, Mariam, who operates Pan Dor, the Catholic boarding ministry, had a skirt and top that Bev gave to her. I still need to buy tooth brush and tooth paste and deoderant. This is not a good place to be without it. I was feeling frustrated in that it had taken me 4 days of the 21 just to get to Rumbek but today as I was riding the motor bike to the school, it felt wonderful. And I can't describe how amazing the school is. 

There were nearly 90 students at their desks looking very smart in the new uniforms. The whole place was peaceful and in order. Great teaching and learning was happening. It just thrilled me to see what God is doing! Justin, the Director of Abukloi, and I spent all morning there. We spoke with the Head Teacher about the purpose of my visit so he would be advised of how this will impact the school schedule. The students are having a meeting on Friday after school and they want me to come. There is an assembly on Friday morning and I will attend that as well. Nearly all of the students Bev and I had in the fall are back - it was wonderful to see all of them. Everyone asked about Teacher Beverly. Justin is making plans to meet with many people. 

We will probably rent a boda boda (motor bike) as it will be cheaper than renting one for every trip. The custom here is for women to ride side saddle. After 4 months of PT from shoulder surgery I did not ride that way and Justin advised the drivers to drive VERY slow. Bev and Ellen will be proud! I am feeling energized and grateful (and praying my luggage comes Saturday:)) Thanks for the prayers and keep them coming. Marg


No comments:

Post a Comment