Monday, June 23, 2014

Sunday, June 22

I have not been able to blog for several days and Bev is helping me with this one.  Let me explain.  There are 2 internet cafes here but they have been down the whole time I have been here.  They are waiting for a man to come from Juba to repair the problem.  However, the man from Juba cannot get here because the airlines are having trouble.  One of them, Kush Air, is not running at all.  It has something to do with tires and mechanical issues.  South Supreme is the other one and it is running about 1/3 of its normal schedule.  So the man from Juba has not been able to get here.
 
Now, this could create a problem for me getting to Juba so I can fly home next Sunday.  Fortunately, our director Justin has contacts in many places including the airlines.  Instead of trying to fly back on Saturday we are going on Wednesday.  Many people are trying to book tickets for that flight so this afternoon (Sunday) he is at the Supreme office securing seats for us.  Please pray God provides a way for me to get to Juba before my flight home leaves Sunday.
 
Today I went to two worship services, Episcopal in English and Anglican in Dinka.  The worship here is beautiful.  I always get so full.  The universal and eternal nature of our faith is so clear and powerful. We are part of an incredible "body".
 
Last night Justin and I met with our Advisory Council.  They are some of the officials in the community who can advise the US Abukloi Board on many things.  I was nervous about this meeting.  Sometimes I really feel my "foreignness" here.  I don't want anything I do or fail to do to offend or confuse people.  But the meeting could not have been any better, well, maybe if we had had perfect attendance, but I ask too much.

I sat with the lone woman on the Council.  She works for the government in wildlife and fisheries, married with 3 children, about 44 years old.  She had spent most of the day at an organizing event to empower women.  As you can guess, I really liked her!
 
Anyway, her suggestion for the agricultural project in Akuac (where we have a well and are repairing the fence) is to have the women do this as a vegetable garden and then sale their produce at the market.  The men agreed that could work very well.  She said she would help organize them if that were needed.
I am so glad this is a possibility.  My mother gave me $1,000 to take with me to feed the people here.  She will be so happy to think that she has helped women  entrepreneurs as well as fed the people.
For those of you who are giving $35/month to Abukloi, thank you.  It is making a difference in the lives of many people and families.  If you would be able and interested in participating in this easy way to support the projects here just visit the website www.abukloi.org

No comments:

Post a Comment