Monday, September 28, 2015

Ellen: Big Announcement

The night was quiet and cool - no barking dogs - a couple of gunshots...Back to peanut butter, bread, and jam for breakfast.  What I wouldn't give for an egg, but there are none in the market.  Chickens are running around loose, and I see people walking down the road holding dead chickens upside down by the feet.  There's got to be some way to get an egg!
 
Justin and I drove two miles out of town this morning to meet with new Minister of Agriculture, Philip Job, who used to be in charge of Relief and Rehabilitation efforts, which included the hospital.  We worked together implementing the various stages of the Baylake Patient Shelter, and I wanted his guidance in completing the project.  I don't know his replacement, and $3,000 is a lot of money to turn over to someone I don't know.  With Philip Job's assistance, the Baylake Patient Shelter should be completed by the time I leave next week. 
 
Since he is the new Minister of Agriculture, I mentioned that the new Abukloi Secondary School now has an agriculture project, and the students were in the process of harvesting the first money crop.  He was not aware of this news but extremely glad to get it - so much so that he immediately made plans to come to Abukloi on Friday with the Minister of Education, to tour the project and "encourage the students." 
 
You can't imagine what a big deal this is!  I don't even know what to compare it to.  Justin is making plans to invite radio and TV to attend for coverage.  When Justin and I arrived at the school, all 167 students, along with teachers, were assembled en masse in front of the school for the announcement - in the blazing sun - so I was brief.  All are pleased and excited.  Grass needs to be cut with the few slashers we have, everything made neat and in order, and everyone in uniform.  Justin and I will be stopping by every day to monitor progress.
 
In late afternoon I walked the short distance to Sisters of Charity to check with Sister Maria Larissa on a detail regarding the trip to the Leper Colony on Wednesday morning.  As I prepared to leave, I was presented with a bag of limes and guavas from the Sisters of Charity gardens.  Limes I know - guavas I had heard of - but this was my first experience eating one.  About the size of a large orange and light green, I learned how to prepare guava for consumption under Mary's watchful tutelage. Cut in half, then quarter, remove seeds, and peel.  By that time, there's not much left to eat, and I would be hard-pressed to describe texture and taste.  Only slightly sweet, sort of like biting into a not-very-crisp apple - might be an acquired taste.
 
There was a breeze today, and as long as I was in the shade I was comfortable; but the direct African sun is brutal!
 
Blessings!
Ellen

No comments:

Post a Comment