Monday, September 28, 2015

Ellen: Sunday

Hot night - dogs barking at 2:00 a.m. - not much sleep.  Mandazi right off the fire for breakfast with Uganda tea and a heaping spoon of g-nut butter.  I'll need some protein.  By 7:45 drums were beating all around calling the faithful to worship.
 
Justin and I attended the 8:30 service at ECS - Episcopal Church of Sudan.  All familiar hymn tunes - I knew each one.  "How Great Thou Art" is one I remember - also "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot."  It's been years! The service was in English - no interpreter.
 
After church Justin and I went our separate ways.  I'll see him tomorrow unless something unexpected comes up.
 
I think I have cracked the Internet code.  When I was here in July, I got permission to use Internet at the Catholic diocese.  With the code for that office still in my computer, I decided to see if I could connect in the courtyard of the building and - Viola!  It worked!  There's a tree stump just the right height for my table.  I brought a stool from my room and was in business.  For two hours I worked and pretty much caught up - relief!
 
Stewed okra and eggplant for lunch - not bad - different - in addition to beans & rice, posho and beef.
 
When I was at Pan Dor last year, two young people were staying here getting ready to go to the Loreto school to volunteer for three years in various capacities.  Several times over the past year I communicated via e-mail with one of them, Ben Sprunger, and this afternoon he dropped by for a visit.  He looks good - seems to be thriving.  Justin and I will visit Loreto Wednesday afternoon.
 
There was so much activity yesterday when I was at "Sign of Hope," that it was impossible to talk, so Katarina suggested I come back at 4:30 this afternoon for "tea," which I did.  We sat on her screened in porch, which she refers to as the "veranda," and caught up on the past year;  then joined Sister Barbara Paleczay, relaxing under a big shade tree.  Photos are attached.  Katarina has the dark hair.
 
Sister Barbara has invited me to attend her trauma workshop on the week-end.  I don't think I can give up two days, but appreciated the offer.
 
Spectacular sunset this evening and equally spectacular full moon.  It's been a good day - not too hot, pleasantly cool in the evening.
 
Blessings!
Ellen

Katarina and Barbara
Barbara and me
Mary with Baylake scarves
My outdoor computer desk
Bananas growing right outside my room






No comments:

Post a Comment