Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Ellen: Returning to Rumbek

On September 13, 2015, Abukloi President Ellen Wicker Cummings returned to South Sudan for an 8 week tour. Upon arriving in Juba, she immediately went to Harvesters Orphanage in Terekeka along the Nile where she worked on reading and math skills with the young children.

Tomorrow, she returns to Rumbek to spend time at Abukloi School. Here is her first update with some photos from Terekeka:

It was a pleasant day for my last walk to the school - last day in my outdoor classroom.  Some cloud cover, a cool breeze - nice weather conditions for anywhere in the world, but especially in South Sudan. 
I leave for Juba tomorrow and an overnight at AFEX before flight to Rumbek on Friday.  I had planned to stay another day here in Terekeka, but very recently the Juba airport has ceased operating on Saturdays, causing all sorts of difficulties for travelers like me who normally fly on week-ends.
Conditions in Rumbek are not the best right now, and I have been advised by friends to be extremely cautious.  My prayer partners see no red flags - there appears to be a definite green light for me to go.  That said, prayers are greatly appreciated for the next two weeks, in particular, that conditions will be calm, because I have a lot of running around I need to do.  I have been in touch with several NGO friends in Rumbek, who indicate that things are relatively stable, and I should have no problems.
I spent the afternoon packing and putting finishing touches on my message for 4:00 chapel.  Loki kindly took photos, which are attached.  I took kids across the road for brooms, enjoyed potato salad, bean soup, mandazi, and African tea for dinner.  I've said my good-byes and am in for the night.  I'll check in tomorrow from Juba.
Blessings!
Ellen








No comments:

Post a Comment