Friday, October 9, 2015

Ellen: Day #26

It missed a golden opportunity to rain yesterday afternoon.  The wind blew, dust swirled, debris landed on metal roof tops, dark clouds, thunder/lightening - for three hours - and nothing.  I was sure we would be able to get the rest of the g-nuts out of the ground today - not yet.  It did have the effect of cooling things off, however.  I was under a blanket last night.
 
I enjoyed another sunrise this morning.  Stepping out on the main road in front of Pan Dor at 6:30, not another person was in sight - nothing was moving.  I had never seen this main road so quiet.  And the sunrise!  How does one describe a sunrise?  There were a lot of scudding clouds with light filtering through in all shades of pinks and blues - the faint sliver of a new moon still visible.  Dramatic, to say the least!
 
And breakfast - in addition to bread, butter, and jam, this morning there was watermelon - the first fruit I've seen since I've been here.
 
All the stores in the market were closed today.  The soldiers/police have not been paid and are on strike.  There was concern that they would all demonstrate in the market area, Causing merchants to stay home.   Never a dull moment!
 
I finally got a boda boda ride today - just paid a driver ten pounds to take me to Freedom Square and back.  All Abukloi transportation used to be by boad boda, and I loved it!  We have now graduated to a car - a good thing in a lot of ways - but I sure do miss the feeling of freedom I enjoyed on that boda boda - wind in my face, blowing my hair.  Those were the good ole days!
 
For the benefit of the Board, Justin and I met briefly this morning with two members of the Community Committee:  Abrahim Chol and Madhek. There are seven members, but because of the potential for trouble in the market, most stayed home.  I didn't blame them.
 
This must have been "move the cows day"  Herds were up and down the main thoroughfare outside Pan Dor - coming and going from all directions - cows, cars, boda bodas, and people all traversing the same space.
 
I've attached a photo of Abukloi student, Daniel Chol, 23, on the left, and four friends, who stay together in one small room.  All are orphans, and they have become each other's family. Daniel's parents died when he was a child.  He is the youngest of six children.  An uncle provides this tukel along with food for Daniel and his friends.  He plans to finish secondary school, go to university, and study law.
 
Tomorrow I leave for Juba, and will check in from AFEX.
 
Blessings!
Ellen
 

Community Committee members - Abrahim on the left
Boda boda ride

 Cattle moving
 Daniel Chol and friends
 Daniel in front of his tukel
My new computer desk - people are now joining me!

No comments:

Post a Comment