Monday, October 5, 2015

Ellen: Lessons Learned

Saturday morning and everybody was sleeping  but me.  I was up at 6:30, as usual, and in the dining hall by 7:00.  There is a window between the cooking and eating areas where food, plates, cups, cutlery, etc., are placed.  When everything is ready, one of the cooks will walk around and transfer from window to serving table.  As a courtesy, female guests will sometimes help with the transfer so the cooks won't have to walk those extra steps.
 
This morning I moved rolls, g-nut butter, jam, tea, coffee, plates, etc., prepared by tea, then inquired about my egg.  "It is coming," Mary assured me.  Pretty soon she brought me two boiled eggs.  I had just supplied one - hummm...It turns out, as of two days ago, eggs can now be purchased in the market, so everybody had a boiled egg today.  I, however, had two, and because I had the dining hall to myself, nobody was the wiser.
 
There was some excitement in the compound late yesterday afternoon.  At almost 6:15 I was getting ready to take a walk, when I became aware of loud agitated voices and people rushing around.  A group of men who reside here were gathered with cooks, cleaners, and Mary, just across from the Catholic office building.  I knew there was great consternation, but couldn't understand anything that was being spoken, so I continued my way to the gate - which was locked.  Nobody was going in or out.
 
Mary explained to me that the local driver of the Land Cruiser owned by the World Bank, had had too much to drink and smashed the windshield of the vehicle.  To keep him from coming back and doing any more damage, the gate was locked.  There are raised walkways throughout the compound, so I walked within the confines of secure walls and gate.  As long as I can walk, I really don't care where.
 
There was a student interview scheduled for 10:00 this morning, but she didn't show up.  With several free hours, I decided to attend Sister Barbara's Trauma workshop.  Almost 100 women were gathered at Sign of Hope - the vast majority Catholic women who serve the communities in various capacities.  At the beginning of her sessions, Sister Barbara always asks if anyone has a headache, stomach pain, discomfort anywhere - and there is always a show of hands. 
 
After several hours, she asks if anyone still has pain, and usually it's all gone - greatly reduced, at any rate.  Her thesis, and that of an increasing number of health professionals, is that a lot of our physical discomfort is stress or tension related.  Rather than take Advil, first try some of these stress-relieving exercises.
 
One of the things I have neglected to mention is the love affair the women of Rumbek have with Gingham.  I have never seen so much Gingham in one place in my life!  The cooks and cleaners at Pan Dor were green Gingham aprons over red or blue Gingham dresses.  The Sisters is Charity wear green Gingham aprons over their white habits.  The women who attended the workshop today could be distinguished as to the parish they represented by the color Gingham dress they wore.  Who knew?! - that Gingham could be such an important fabric in this part of the world.
 
I was a little concerned about the student interview this afternoon, because the young woman, Sarah Akoi, is almost painfully shy - extremely quiet.  The teachers had no idea she was as bright as she is until getting the results of written tests and homework - because she never talks.  However, this was an exceptional interview, because the home environment is so exceptional.  There is a strong nuclear family.  Sarah (Sahrah - trill the R) is the oldest of nine children who live together with both parents in a two room stone house with dirt floor.  The mother takes care of the house and children.  The father raises cattle and farms - mostly g-nuts, maize, and sorghum. 
 
Both parents want Sarah to succeed and encourage her efforts - highly unusual from the stand point of the father in this male dominated society.
 
I am aware of the severe weather conditions on the East Coast and hope my family members and friends are okay.
 
Blessings!
Ellen

Trauma workshop - Gingham dress front and center
Trying to pronounce this lady's name
Sarah with her mother and 7 siblings
Inside Sarah's home
The two room home where 11 family members live together
Pan Dor cook wearing Gingham
Another gingham wearer








No comments:

Post a Comment