Monday, October 5, 2015

Ellen: Priorities

First of all, I have declared war on roaches.  The big ugly things are here in droves just like they are all over the world.  I suppose two rains since I arrived brought them indoors.  Last night I asked for roach spray but waited until this morning so the shower area could dry completely and so I wouldn't have to breathe the fumes. Before leaving for breakfast, I started doing battle, beginning with the bathroom and continuing around the perimeter of the large room.  Roaches came from every direction, and I stepped on them as they tried to escape - showed no mercy.  Maids cleaned and I'll spray again before dinner.  I should feel more easy tonight than in the past few days.

This morning Justin and I met with the Abukloi student leaders.  There are 22 of them, holding various positions from head boy/girl, to prefects, to class monitors, to deputies, to various chair persons.  They have concerns and requests - all of them understandable and perhaps even reasonable.  What they don't understand is the financial cost of everything they want/need.  More textbooks, more teachers, science lab, computer lab - priorities, I would say.  Then there are 1) a room large enough for the entire school to assemble, 2) playground, 3) sports uniforms and equipment.

At one point I interrupted - "Let me ask you this.  Would you rather have a science lab or sports uniforms?"  Silence.  Prioritizing needs and wants is something we're all going to have to work on.
Next stop - the Baylake Patient Shelter at the government hospital complex.  After handing over $3,000 for completion of the floor on last Tuesday, I wanted to check on the progress.  As you can see from the attached photo, the work has been finished.  It will be several more days before the patients can be moved back, but the work has been completed.  Congratulations Baylake - and thank you!

Then the tough part.  I went to the other side of the shelter where patients were being treated. This is what always gets me - even more so than the leprosy patients, who, while disfigured, no longer have active disease and are so joyful.  These patients are sick and miserable.  Pleading eyes - it just tears my heart out.  One lady put her hand on her head and closed her eyes - pain.  I asked if she had Malaria - yes.  I placed my hands on her head and prayed for rapid recovery - spent some time with each patient.

According to Justin, there was an outbreak of malaria recently.  Several tents have been put up to accommodate the sick, and there are still patients lying on mats on the ground.  "Oh Lord, what can I do?  I'm just one person."  "Tell the story,' He said, and so I do.

The fifth student interview was with Zachariah Juma, age 21, in his second year at Abukloi.  He is the first born of five children - three brothers and one sister, who live together in the same compound with parents, grandparents, and two friends.  There is a garden on the premises with pumpkins, okra, sorghum, guavas and mangoes.  The father raises cows and is at the cattle camp most of the time. 

Zachariah is a straight A student and holds the position of Time Manager at Abukloi - he rings the bell when it's time to change classes.  Favorite subjects are chemistry and biology, and he aspires to be a doctor.
Zachariah attends Saint Barnabas ECS, where he sings in the choir.  He and his brother sang for me in Dinka what would in English be:
Praise Him!  Praise Him!  Praise Him in the morning, Praise Him in the noon time!  Praise Him!  Praise Him!  Praise Him when the sun goes down!"

Zacharia expressed appreciation to Abukloi for helping bring South Sudan into the new world.
I just saw two nuns walk into the Pan Dor compound wearing - you guessed it - blue Gingham!
Blessings!
Ellen

 Student leaders meeting
 New Baylake Shelter floor
 Patients
 Patient 
 Patient
 Tent at hospital
Interview with Zacharia Juma at his family compound

No comments:

Post a Comment