Friday, October 9, 2015

Ellen: Saying Goodbye to Abukloi School

I have decided that sunrise is my favorite time of the day in Rumbek, and I am chagrined that I have missed so many while lolly-gagging in my room waiting for breakfast.  And speaking of breakfast, this morning Mary served pancakes - rolled crispy crepes - and watermelon.  Mary's a great gal - extremely capable - Pan Dor is fortunate to have her.

Before going to the airport, Justin took me to school so I could meet with a couple of teachers and say good-bye to the students.  Can you see the intensity on their faces when I speak to them?  They're an exemplary group - we have high admission standards.  The only thing that will hold them back is the lack of stability and monetary support in South Sudan. And yet South Sudan desperately needs the qualified, motivated students Abukloi will produce.  I don't know the answers and neither does the Board.  - so we will continue to support our students and give them every educational advantage.  What they do with it is up to them.

Because I had to leave for the airport before lunch was served, I asked Mary if she could give me something to eat before I left - anything.  Her response - "I prepare for you small omelet."  And if this was a small omelet, I'd like to see a large one.  I was served a several egg omelet with all sorts of chopped red and green vegetables - with tomato slices around the edge of the plate - perfect!  

Justin and I were at the airport the required hour before departure time. I was "wheels up" for Juba forty minutes late - not bad.

I provided a detailed explanation of UNHAS/WFP on Day #13, the only aircraft currently serving Rumbek. Normally a bare bones outfit, today there were two flight attendants who served mints prior to take off, assorted juice boxes by Delmonte - mango, guava, passion fruit - and a variety of cookies, three to a package.  What's going on?!

I'm settled in at AFEX (Africa Expedition) in Juba and just had dinner with Ellen Ratner and GEMS team - slightly different make-up than when we were here in July.  We're ready for World Mental Health Day tomorrow.  I know nothing about mental health, but am here to support my friend at her invitation.  More tomorrow.
Blessings!
Ellen




No comments:

Post a Comment