Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Easy Saturday

Twenty plus students came to Pan Door by invitation of our Head Girl to write letters to children at St. Stephen’s United Methodist Church in Fairfax County, VA.  Children in grades 3-6 had written to them and they were now to write back.  It was good working with them and learning more about them.  After the US children write back, their Pastor Abi will email these letters.  After that, our students will be able to use the internet cafĂ© to respond via email!

Justin picked me up after lunch and we went to his office.  They were installing the solar power.  The room that was to be emptied Monday is not empty yet, still working on it.  Normal pace here.  But I was able to read and send some emails.  Only my second time since I have arrived so glad to have that opportunity.  Even in South Sudan I have noticed a digital divide.  While many of the students have no idea about the world wide web, one of the students today had the Abukloi website open on his phone and was reading my blog!


Stephanie Maker, Angelo’s wife, has been spending much time with his family while she is here.  Many of them live outside of Rumbek but they have all come to Rumbek to greet her.  Today was the official reception of her into the Mak’er family.  I went to be part of it as they wanted to recognize me as Angelo’s US mother.  There must have been nearly 100 relatives present.  Very few spoke English so Stephanie and I spent most of our time smiling, the universal language.  At one point the women gathered including Stephanie and they marched through the market as a way to introduce Stephanie to the community.  They are a lovely extended family and I can see why Angelo feels so strongly about them. 

-Marg

No comments:

Post a Comment