Sunday, November 13, 2016

Thursday and Saying Good-Bye

Ken, Steve, and Kory were to leave this morning so we were up and at the airport before 8:30.  We waited for 2 hours or so and then Justin (who has phone contact with people at the Juba airport) said we should go and come back later to the airport.  So we went to his office and learned that the internet is up and running!  I was able to use his laptop and respond to a couple of emails.  I did not have my thumb drive with this blog on it so I will have to send updates another time.  The solar power is not installed yet and we are using power from another office but we are close to getting this totally up and running.  A business who was offering computer training has closed.  We hope to buy their tables and chairs.  We still need a few things at the market but Ken and his family left some funds behind so we should be able to purchase those.  Hopefully before I leave we will have it open to the students, and the teachers and technology business club will have their emails established and then able to assist the other students.

After lunch at Pan Door Ken, Steve, and Kory went back to the airport.  We all had some tea at the “outdoor cafĂ©” and then they took off for Juba, Ken carrying his club and shield – it was too big for any of their luggage.

Justin and I went straight back to Pan Door and there were students waiting to use the computers.  Not everyone got the message that there was not to be any classes today so since I had nothing to do I just got the computers out of my room where they had been recharged last night (we have power from 7pm to 11 pm each night) and opened for business.  Stephanie and Moses are not here but I can figure out most of what the students need since they are at such a basic level.


Today was the hottest day so far – likely 100 or higher.  I am wearing the same sandals every day as my feet swell in the heat and these sandals “expand” so each day the tan/dirt line on my feet gets a bit more defined.

No comments:

Post a Comment