Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Arrived in Juba

It was 22 hours from hotel door in VA to hotel door in Juba, South Sudan but I have arrived safely! It is always interesting to pick out the other "aid workers" at the airport. We really stand out, well others more than me. Many are White. The ones with neck scarves and gauze or linen type shirts fit the description to a T. Most all are from large non-profits working somewhere in East Africa (since our flight goes to Ethiopia in East Africa). It is always interesting to learn what people are doing. Few have much contact with the people they are wanting to serve - the organization is just so large. Juba airport is still being built and the old one was torn down in November so they continue with tents. They are now orange from the dust. The floors are large pieces of plywood set on top of cinder blocks. They are worn very thin in many places, even large holes. But people just walk around all of that as best they can in the cramped quarters. It was actually a bit better laid out than it was in the original airport that was torn down last year. I was grilled last year about a yellow fever shot. I had decided not to get one because complications double when over 60 years old. But I weighed my options and decided to get it. You guessed it, nobody asked me a thing about it. Even had my immunization card in my hand but nothing. Moses Chol, one of the Lost Boys Settled in Atlanta but now living in Juba and a long time Abukloi supporter, was at the airport to help me navigate. Because he works for the President of South Sudan, he has some status and can get me through the luggage retrieval, no turn style here! He also had transport for me and a hotel reservation. The hotel is quite nice with electricity, AC, hot water, and wifi. So no complaints here! Moses told me the government workers hadn't been paid for 4 months. That impacts not only those workers (including teachers) and their families but the whole economy. Many schools and businesses depend upon them as customers. I know it has impacted the internet cafe Abukloi has in Rumbek. The bad news is there are no flights to Rumbek tomorrow, Tuesday, so I have to wait for Wednesday. My "ticket" is a handwritten note with my name and time to be at the airport. No airline name, flight #, etc. I have much I want to accomplish this trip and had shortened my time to 13 days total including travel so I just lost a valuable day. But if I have learned anything in these trips it is to just go with the flow. God is in there somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment