Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Jet lag is bothering me more this time than usual. Staying in a hotel room with little to do but read does not help - need to be up and about. (I am reluctant to leave the hotel alone but I did climb to the top floor to see the roof cafe.) But I did read the better part of a great book on social enterprises (now there's something to keep you awake). The businesses we are starting are really this category, social enterprises - a term I was not familiar with until the UN event I went to in NYC last month. I have soooo much to learn. The sleep thing again - when I woke up this morning at 3:30 and couldn't get back to sleep I called our daughter Jennifer on google hangout. The microphone on my computer was muted and I couldn't figure out how to turn it on so she talked and watched me gesture on the video. It was quite the conversation! Finally, we just instant messaged each other. I got back to sleep around 6 and woke up the second time around 9. Hoping for better sleep tonight. Moses is one of the Lost Boys who has been very helpful of our projects here. He works and lives in Juba, the one who met me at the airport yesterday. He stopped by 3 times today and got my phone working (don't trust the Verizon service representatives to know how to use your phone in South Sudan) and money exchanged. The inflation here is very high - exchange rate today is $1=72 South Sudanese Pounds or 1 SSP = $.014. My dinner tonight was $11.34 so not bad at all. Let me just say that TV channels here are limited. There are a plethora of news channels including CNN and BBC and in English and Arabic. There is 1 channel for sports, all soccer as far as I can tell, and 1 other channel called 1 - it is all movies and they aren't much, lots of subtitle and poor acting. I am excited to get to Rumbek tomorrow. Moses told me many of the good things happening there and I can hardly wait to see it all! He reports people everywhere inside and out the internet cafe (really need another solar panel), many women working Nancy's Garden, uniforms being made in the market with students' help, and 365 students at the school with half being female. So much has progressed just since my visit last November - unheard of here. God has been busy!

No comments:

Post a Comment