Thursday, April 6, 2017

Arrived in Rumbek

Moses picked me up to get to the airport by 10 am. The flight does not have a scheduled departure time other than "whenever". It was hot, crowded, and very windy. I was covered in orange dust and black specs but frankly with the heat, the wind wasn't all bad. Finally, the plane left around 2:15. I think I would still be at the airport if Moses hadn't been there to help me navigate. I took a couple pictures of the airport and will send those later. Director Justin and Head Teacher Thomas were at the airport to welcome me. We went to Pan Door (Catholic compound where I am staying) and talked for awhile. One of the big issues is a very large section of the metal roof of the school blew off in a storm. One class room and one office are totally exposed on one side and another classroom is partially exposed. This needs to be fixed before rainy season which is fast on its way. One of the issues is the prices go up so quickly with this hyper-inflation that it is hard to get an estimate. One of the students told me he almost cried when he saw the damage to his school. After they left I went to my room, got organized, rested and then went to dinner. Two meals a day the same items are served - beef, 2 types of carbs (pasta, rice, native paste dish), green leafy vegetable, and bake beans. It isn't bad when just here for a week or so but there are people who live at Pan Door years on end. I guess in a land of hunger they are grateful. This morning I waited for Justin outside the gate to Pan Door. I met several students. Apparently they had arrived late and not in uniform so were sent home - uh-oh. I also had two people on their way to the market who asked for money to buy food. I didn't give any to the first one (young man) but then decided to give some to the second person, an older woman. At lunch I put more money in my bag so I would be ready. We went to the school today. They held an assembly and had someone from Good News Radio Station present. It was great fun seeing all the students - I even remembered some of their names! We now have 360 students and half are female. This is quite an accomplishment! There are many issues but basically things are going well. After lunch we went to the market to see the sewing business. Right now there are 3 tailors from town who are making uniforms for the 9th and 10th grades. I took a picture and will send that later. When these are done they will invite students to come and learn. From the market we went to the Abukloi City Link Cafe. There were several customer present and I am on their internet now. It is already in need of expansion with more solar panels to bump up the capacity. One of the students gave me a hand-written note that in many ways is meant for all of you who have contributed in so many ways to the people of South Sudan. Here is part of what she wrote: We are touched by your loving heart that moves from a thousand miles away for our sake. We wouldn't offer you anything in the world other than just giving appreciations and thanksgiving to you. The lesson we learn from you is being willing in giving charitable work or services without expecting a thing in return. I believe some of us are going to be your role models to help the needy. You inspired us and your aspirations and determinations has soften our hearts because you are carrying out the humanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment