Thursday, April 13, 2017

Thursday, April 13: How Hot Is It?

You know it is hot when:
* the Director, a South Sudan native, greets you at 8 a.m. with "It is HOT!"
* you cannot even get a cold shower because the sun has warmed the water in the water tank
* an Italian engineer who has been working in South Sudan for years asks me how I stay survive the heat

BTW, I shared with the Italian engineer my strategy of wetting the front of me, including my night gown, 2-3 times per night.  I believe he did it as his room is near mine and I could hear a shower several times during the night.

During the night last night we had a big storm blow through.  First came the strong wind, then rolling thunder and lightning, then rain.  It cooled things and they stayed cool until around 10 a.m.  So much dust was kicked up that the cleaning women where I am staying, were cleaning every one's room.  Since I am leaving early Friday morning, there was no sense in cleaning mine.  I expect to be covered in dust pretty much all of the time.

One of the leading people at UNMISS came to the school today with 2 other dignitaries.  His speech to the students was wonderful, so inspirational, encouraging.  I said my good-byes, got a little choked up.  They are all so amazing and I am so privileged to be part of what God is doing in their lives.

As the last 2 days of a trip here comes to a close I can count on two things happening:
1.  many students coming to me for financial assistance.  They write out their request on slips of paper.  I will respond to some and give it to the Head Teacher to give to students on Friday, after I am gone.
2.  projects we have been talking about taking on new questions, information, solutions.  I have learned that often the notes I take early in the trip about conversations that I thought brought us to a resolution are superseded by recent notes on the current solution.  In other words, in this place of great obstacles, the solution today may not be the one tomorrow.

Tonight the teachers and student leaders will be going to Director Justin's for dinner.  He has been very gracious to invite us to his home - amazing.  The "girl" who cooks and cleans for him will prepared it.  (Although this morning he was a bit late picking me up because he had to slaughter and prepare the goat so she could cook it.)  Guess what we are having for dinner tonight - fresh goat!  In addition, Justin's uncle who died over the weekend and was buried yesterday in another community, is having a funeral today here in Rumbek.  Justin is at that this afternoon, even as he is preparing for dinner guests and driving me around town.

My plan is to fly out of Rumbek to Juba tomorrow morning.  From there I will fly Ethiopian Air to Addas Ababa, 4 hour lay over, then long flight to Dulles.  If everything goes as planned Bob will pick me up early Saturday morning and I'll be in my own church Easter Sunday.  We shall see.

Blessings on all of you.  Please remember South Sudan in your prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment