Friday, April 7, 2017

Friday

Today was a most interesting day. We started at Nancy's Garden early this morning. They generally work from 8-10 when it is a bit cooler. Bob (my husband) told me the high in Rumbek is 104 and low of 84 - that explains why I feel the heat! Anyway, the garden is doing very well and I enjoyed my time with the people. The guards have gotten interested and help the women with the work. Currently we have just 4 women working so only a small section of the 2.5 acres are cultivated. But we plan to get many more women and possibly a tractor and plow to break the ground - much easier after the rainy season starts. They have also planted mango trees. The women taught me how to do the traditional celebration cry of African women - so look out church! From there we went to the school. I had just begun teaching the seniors about the business plan project when someone came in to tell me one of the students collapsed. I wasn't sure why they were telling me but quickly learned they wanted me to come - calling me Dr. Margaret can get confusing. Anyway, she was having a seizure and I do know a little about that so was able to direct students what not to do and what to do. They got a stick and I talked to them about the tongue. We took her off the chair and laid her on the floor, got cloth in water to place on her forehead and back of neck. They wanted to give her tea but I told them no as she might choke. She had froth at her mouth. We called Director Justin who had just left to come back and take her to the hospital. He came and she left with her sister (another student), female teacher, and another student. When Justin returned later we learned she had malaria and typhoid so apparently the seizure was a result of a high fever. Anyway, I was exhausted from the drama of being looked to an an expert in an environment when I knew the most about a medical response. Interesting, earlier in the day, going from Nancy's Garden to school, we stopped to pick up a mother and child who was taking her infant child to the clinic. It was a very long walk for them so glad we were there. I told Justin he was like an ambulance! I asked him if he had not been available to take the female student to the hospital what would they have done. He said one of the teachers would have taken her on his motor bike - oh my. The needs here are overwhelming and I always feel totally inadequate to even hear them because the people expressing them believe I am capable of supplying the response. At one time the needs were less essential, like a new tie for the holidays or even school fees. But now they are basic like food, clothing, and medicine. I will learn from Justin about the amount needed for a very few of these and contribute, a drop in the bucket. The way the people here express it is this: Life right now is very hard. Indeed it is. I may not get back to blogging until Monday as I will probably not have access to the internet. Saturday morning I am to meet some students at the school for sewing. Then in the afternoon I am to meet with the teachers. Sunday I will preach at a Pentecostal Church and then meet with the females students after lunch. I so enjoy being with "my girls".

No comments:

Post a Comment