Monday, April 10, 2017

Sunday, April 9: Survival Strategies

Survival of Body
It is really hot here - highs over 100 and never getting below 80.  So sleep is a challenge.  I was able to get a fan but it only works until the power goes off around 10 or 11 pm.  Last night it was hot and the air was not moving so not only was I sweating but I felt like I could hardly breath.  So I turned on the shower, wet my face and arms and then the front of me, including my night gown.  I laid on my back and allowed the heat to dry me.  It worked well - almost AC-like..  I did it a second time when I woke up due to the heat again.  One survival issue addressed.

Survival of Spirit
Saturday was a particularly hard day for my spirit.  Not sure why, but you know sometimes it is just the way things hit you.  Around 8:30 am one of our students stopped to talk.  He had been supported by his uncle but with the high prices here, he can no longer take care of his wife and children, let alone his nephew.  He understood but felt so very alone.  He is currently living with one of the teachers (incredibly dedicated to the students, our teachers).  But the last straw was that someone broke into their home and stole the few things that he had.  He is unable to pay the school fees or purchase shoes.  The look in his eyes was so hopeless.  I just felt so incredibly bad for him - so, so many things working against him.  Then a bit later I was at the school working on sewing when one of the student leaders asked for funds to help repay a loan he had taken out to buy milk for his child.  Loan for milk?  The needs are so basic to life and there are so many.  It takes a toll on the spirit.  So I got out the photo album our daughter Jennifer put together for me in 2013 and I have kept updated.  Seeing the people I love feeds the soul - readjusted.

Beyond Survival
Today was a new one for me.  This Palm Sunday  I preached at a Pentecostal Church.  I couldn't tell if they were speaking in tongues or Dinka or a different brand of English.  It was all really very wonderful, spirit healing.  I preached on the valley of the dry bones - call to the 4 winds and tell them to breath new life.  That is a message needed here.

Marg

No comments:

Post a Comment