Saturday, September 20, 2014

Friday, September 19

Following a satisfying breakfast of Mendazi and African tea, Justin and I left for Rumbek Secondary School.  The head teacher was in Juba, so we met with the next in command to discuss issues both schools have in common and to affirm and encourage each other.  Rumbek Secondary has an enrollment of 1300 and all the challenges that accompany a school that large.  The building itself dates back to the 1940s and was built by missionaries during colonization.  Justin attended Rumbek Secondary School.

While in the area, we made a swing through Akuac before heading to Abukloi school.  Bread and tea were being served, several male students were playing football - soccer - and I took some more photos of students who were absent yesterday.  

After checking e-mail at Hillview, we stopped at a cattle camp on the way back to Pan Door.  These are long horned steers - pretty docile unless provoked - and I wasn't about to do any provoking.  Cattle go pretty much where they want to go, and Justin and I frequently make our way on boda boda, inching through all these horns, actually brushing the flanks of the cows, as we and the cattle negotiate the same roads.  

What a lazy afternoon!  I awoke from my siesta to the sound of rain on metal roof and an unbelievably cool breeze that demanded immediate cover.   I reached for the spread I never expected to use, and, for the next hour, floated in that never-never land between dreams and consciousness.  At 4:15 I forced myself up, wondering if I would be able to sleep tonight.

Umbrella in hand, I walked right on schedule.  Pan Door has a series of raised walking paths  - perfect for getting around the property.  Pleasant, cool evening...



No comments:

Post a Comment