Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Saturday and Sunday 9/13-14

(This email has been transcribed from a voicemail. Please excuse errors. CG)

Saturday pm, September 13, 2014
 
It’s such a comfortable feeling to have spent enough time in another country to be able to wander around freely, not needing a guide and dropping in on friends from previous visits.
 
Yesterday, late afternoon, I walked next door to the Pan Ngoth Compound, Missionary Charity Sisters, expecting to see Sister Ann Mario, as I had done on previous visits to Rumbek. Imagine my disappointment that she had been transferred to Nairobi. I wish her well.
 
A bit farther around the corner, I did find Katarina at home in her NGO(?)  from Italy - a Roman Catholic nun. I don't even know her last name, but we enjoy a cup of tea once a year.  Blessings on your work, Katarina.
 
Terrific chapatti for dinner tonight!

 
Sunday, September 14, 2014
 
Up early for 8:30 service at ECS. There has been unrest in Rumbek of late – fighting, shooting and killing of innocent people.  The service today – music, Scripture, liturgy and sermon was all about peace, brotherly love and forgiveness. The people of South Sudan are weary of violence and wondering when it will ever end so they can live in peace without fear.  
 
The sermon was interrupted midway when a man walked in off the street, proceeded to one of (the chairs?) and demanded money. Various people handed over small bills as others tried to coax him away. Finally he left, and the sermon continued.
 
I had taken a boda boda to ECS earlier; and when the service was over, I walked back to the road to flag another ride, calling out, “Boda boda!”  As motorbikes passed, one fella stopped and said, “Madame, I am not boda boda, but I will assist you.” It turns out he was Andrew, with some connection to Abukloi School.
 
Can you see God’s prevenient grace, just in the past 24 hours?
  1.          The young man who assisted me at the Juba airport,
  2.          Marco Marjon, who just happened to be at the Rumbek Airport when I landed, and
  3.          Andrew, riding past ECS just as the service ended.
 
I spent an hour or so at the market this afternoon – batteries, washcloths, extra towels, etc.  Pan Ngoth doesn’t provide washcloths, and one towel per guest is doled out once at the beginning of the stay.  I also bought a new pillow. The one I had rested on last night was old, hard and extremely uncomfortable. My neck hurt all night, and I got very little sleep. The new one is a little better.
 
No chapatti in 24 hours! I've been assured it will be served tomorrow.
 
Blessings,
Mama Ellen

No comments:

Post a Comment