Monday, September 22, 2014

Saturday, September 20

Rain wreaks havoc with Internet and phone service in this part of the world.  Last night I got a text message from Justin saying he would pick me up at 9:30 this morning.  The only problem was this message was for yesterday (Friday) and had been sent Thursday night.  By the time Justin arrived at 10:30, I had figured out what was going on.  By mutual consent, he will call from now on - no more text messages.  If he doesn't reach me, at least he will know it.

There are two delightful and impressive twenty-somethings temporarily housed at Pan Door. Ben and Candacia will be working for the Loreto School for the next three years.  If you don't remember about the Loreto schools from e-mails last year, do a Google search.  Candacia hails from Guyana but was educated in the U.S.  Ben is a citizen of the world, the son of missionaries who have served all over.  

The food at Pan door is good, it's just the same every day.  There can be some variety at dinner, but lunch  never varies - posho, beef & gravy, rice, greens, beans - ev-ery day!  Today after choking down yet another plate of greens, beef and gravy, Ben offered me an orange - fresh from the market - juicy and sweet - the perfect antidote to a heavy meal.  I thanked him profusely!  Nothing ever tasted so good.

I missed my nap and swim.  Justin and I had a lengthy meeting in an attempt to wrap up details concerning my time here and what still needs to be done.  My ticket to leave Tuesday a.m. has been purchased.  

Attached are photos of Pan Door, a local dwelling, and a local borehole.



No comments:

Post a Comment