Saturday, September 20, 2014

Wednesday, September 18

Back to white bread, butter, and jam for breakfast - oh well - it makes me appreciate bananas, papaya, and mendazi all the more!

The picture taking process at the Abukloi school was a huge success!  It took some time to find the right spot to photograph all these dark faces so the features could be illuminated.  Finally we decided to place the students in front of an outside wall facing the sun, with Mama Ellen standing in a chair elevated slightly higher than the students - my back to the sun.  

The process went relatively quickly considering the number of students, but I stood in the hot sun way too long.  Sweat stung my eyes and dripped off my chin.  When I finally finished, the students sat me in a chair in the shade and fanned while I drank a bottle of water.  

The South Sudanese have lovely, engaging smiles, but put a camera in front of them and those smiles quickly disappear.  They seem to think a picture calls for a serious, somber expression.  Coaxing smiles was like pulling teeth.  Finally the students made a game of it, standing behind me chanting "da-le, da-le," Dinka for smile, then falling into hysterics when the person being photographed finally broke into a smile.  It was a fun morning - just way too hot for this Kawaja to be standing in the sun .

Lunch is served at 1:00 - always tasty but hot and heavy - potatoes, rice, or posho, beef and gravy and something green.  The combination of heat and heavy food call for a nap around 2:00 - the hottest part of the day.  The swim at Hillview is nice at 5:00, when surrounding buildings block the sun. I usually have the pool to myself.  Sometimes there are men in skimpy suits lounging around with a cold beverage.  I have yet to see any females.

Early mornings and evenings are usually pleasant - the time I try and take a 10-minute walk around the Pan Door property.  I do my own laundry, work on a Bible study - the days and nights are pretty full.


No comments:

Post a Comment