Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Monday 9/15: First Day of New Term

(This email has been transcribed from a voicemail. Please excuse errors. CG)
 
Bananas for breakfast.  I ate two.
 
Yesterday at ECS, I arranged with Phillip Job, the Director of Relief and Rehabilitation, to go over to the Government Hospital, leaving his office at 9:00 am.  Just in the Abukloi direction was the first pick-me-up on the waiting boda boda at8:45. At 8:55, I left him a note taped to my door, flagged the boda myself and got to the R&R office mostly on time.
 
When I first visited the Government Hospital in Rumbek in 2012, patients had overflowed the hospital building and were lying on mats on the ground.  Over two years, my church in Virginia Beach, Baylake UMC, has provided a patient shelter to help accommodate the overflow - first a roof, then walls. Today I brought $3,000 in donations for a concrete floor.
 
Mr. Job took me to the hospital in his air-conditioned Land Cruiser. I had almost stopped sweating by the time we got there.  Unbeknownst to me, the patient shelter had been extended, and the additional area is used as an OR, where 50 women with vesico vaginal fistulas were treated last month.  Because females have babies at such young ages, their pelvic areas are too small for normal delivery.  Most give birth in the bush. Cesarean deliveries are non-existent. Many die. Others that survive typically sustain damage that results in constant urine leakage.  Because of the odor, they are shunned.  The fistula repair is a life-changing procedure for these women, but what an arena for surgery to take place.  
 
I spent the rest of the morning at the Abukloi School.  This was the first day of the term. Because of the unrest, only half the students were present. If calm continues, everyone should return by the end of the week.  I will be on hand every morning between 10:30 and 11:30 to meet with students and teachers.  Justin is scheduling meetings with various community committees and advisory groups.  
 
Oh, the heat!  It’s just draining! After being out in the hottest part of the day, I drank a bottle of water, went to bed with my battery-operated fan and slept. I better understand siestas after spending time in South Sudan.
 
I had hoped for a swim later today, but Justin had a soccer game.  Maybe tomorrow.
 
I apologize for the lack of pictures.  I’m having difficulty with Internet. As soon as I’m able to get a reliable connection, I’ll try to catch up on the pictures.
 
Blessings,
Mama Ellen

No comments:

Post a Comment