Saturday, September 20, 2014

Tuesday, September 16

(This email has been transcribed from a voicemail. Please excuse errors. CG)
 
Everyone enjoyed a special treat for breakfast this morning - Menbazi, a slightly sweet, fried pastry which puffs up during the cooking process, leaving a hollow center similar to a popover… Really nice with African tea. Breakfast at Pan Ngoth can be as sparse as white bread with butter and jam. So anything different – like the bananas yesterday – is noted and appreciated.  
 
Justin and I had a bit of a dustup this morning. He was supposed to have me at Abukloi at 10:00, so I was ready at 9:45. When he finally showed up at 10:15, I was not a happy camper. We worked through the morning; but when I pressed him about a time to expect him later this afternoon, he responded, “We have a problem with time management in this country.“  Don’t I know it! And as far as Justin is concerned, the problem could very well be mine and not his. This is typical of Africa and the most infuriating aspect of life in this country that I have to deal with. I’ll manage.
 
The vast majority of those who live in Rumbek subsist right at the poverty level. This includes the students at the Abukloi School. They eat one meal a day, and then not very much. So they show up for class at 8:30 having had no breakfast and many having walked up to five miles. There is also no lunch. In discussing this situation with teachers yesterday, I decided to provide a mid-morning snack while I am here.  For $300 these students can have two pieces of bread, about the size of both halves of a hamburger bun, and tea for five days.  Many of you were incredibly generous in your monetary support. Please know that part of that support will provide nourishment for students at my school. Did I do the right thing? I don’t know, as the food will stop as soon as I leave. But it felt like the right thing to do.
 
Last year I learned that there is a swimming pool here in Rumbek. Philip, who knew I like to swim, asked if I had brought my costume.  Unfortunately, I had left the costume in Juba, never dreaming I would have an opportunity to use it in Rumbek.  This trip I came prepared. Costume in hand, Justin and I went to the pool at the Hillview Hotel by the airport. A photo will be provided when I’m able to access email.  As you will be able to see, this is an extremely nice pool by any standards - roughly 50’ x 25’ as I walked it off. It felt more like bath water than the pool I’m used to in Virginia Beach, but I am certainly not going to complain.
 
Hillview is one of the nicer lodging options available in Rumbek.  Rooms are cottage-style – four to a block with television, Internet and air conditioning.  There’s a workout room and nice restaurant.  A room with full board – breakfast, lunch and dinner is $120 America dollars per day. Not too bad, actually.
 
And, I’m happy to report that Justin was right on time.
 
The most amazing salad was served at dinner tonight. I don’t know if it was that it was so delectable or just a welcome change from beans, rice and mainly hot food…  Fresh tomatoes, cucumber, onion, avocado, and a leaf of green that tasted like cilantro tossed with fresh lemon juice – so refreshing! I had three helpings and scraped the last little bit out of the serving bowl. Absolutely outstanding!   
 
I also enjoyed a spectacular light show in the Western sky. There were considerable clouds in the late afternoon and rain in the distance.  Walking toward the dining hall at 7:30, I was visually struck by the lightning, which continued for several hours.  Thunder sent these amazing flashes outlining the big clouds.
 
Hope all is well.
 
Blessings,
Mama Ellen

No comments:

Post a Comment