Saturday, September 13, 2014

September 12 - Part 2

My challenge for today was two-fold:  change American dollars into South Sudanese pounds (easily accomplished), and try and switch providers for my phone so I can use it here for the next 10 weeks.  Four hours later - mission accomplished - but what an ordeal!

My driver, Edison, took me to the Vivacell corporate office where two employees tried every trick in their arsenal of options to no avail.  It seemed we needed to drive over to Juba Town and locate someone named "Abdullah," who operated a store that sold bottled water, and he should be able to help us.  Abdullah was stymied, as well, but had a friend he recommended.  The friend was called who agreed to come right over.  Thirty minutes later said friend was contacted again - this time he really was on the way.  

Meanwhile, Edison and I watched as a steady stream of customers came and went - precious bottles of water in hand.  We drank a couple ourselves.

Friend finally arrived, but was no more help than the first three gentlemen.  But if we would follow him to the establishment of Yagoub - just down the street - he was certain we would find success - and we  did!  I now have a working South Sudan phone #.  If anyone needs/desires the #, call Ned.

I have ticket in hand for my flight to Rumbek tomorrow morning.  Lots to do in ten days for the Abukloi NGO.  I've been warned that I'll need to be on my "A game."  No pressure...

I'm really bummed about one thing.  Dr. Mac Brown, retired professor of early childhood education, gave me four sets of four "Big Books" to use while I am in South Sudan in teaching reading to children at Terekeka, and to pass around in Juba and Rumbek.  When I opened my checked luggage, only one set was there.  I am relieved to have still have one set, but disappointed and aggravated that these teaching tools were pilfered.  

Mama Ellen

No comments:

Post a Comment